Top 5 Best Snow Removal Throwers
Shoveling snow is a long and tiresome process. Fortunately, you can use a snow thrower to remove the snow on your driveway easily and quickly. But unfortunately, there are a lot of snow throwers on the market, and not all of them are of high quality.
As such, you need to research and check multiple product features to ensure you’re buying an efficient and durable model. This may seem like a tedious task, but we are here to help narrow your search. This article contains information on the best snow removal throwers on the market, along with the different types and features you need to consider when buying a snow thrower.
Types of Snow Removal Throwers
There are three different types of snow throwers, and each type has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Single-Stage Snow Thrower –A single-stage snow thrower uses a single auger to operate. This auger can break down and gather the snow. Afterward, it will discharge the snow out of its chute. As such, this type of snow thrower is ideal for paved sidewalks and driveways. Plus, it can scrape all the snow, so there will be no snow left on your driveway. Aside from that, a single-stage snow thrower is also lightweight and compact, so you can maneuver it easily. However, this type of snow thrower should not be used for large accumulations of snow. Instead, it is best used to clear moderate amounts of snow – about eight inches or less.
- Two-Stage Snow Thrower –A two-stage snow thrower has an auger that collects snow and a fan that discharges the snow through a chute. Moreover, its auger does not make contact with the ground. As such, you can use it when removing snow over dirt, gravel, or any uneven terrain. Aside from that, this type of snow thrower has a large mouth, making it ideal for lawns and wide driveways. Unfortunately, a two-stage snow thrower is large, so it will need a lot of space in your garage or storage shed. Nonetheless, this type of snow thrower is best for clearing large amounts of snow.
- Three-Stage Snow Thrower –A three-stage snow thrower is the most efficient and powerful snow removal tool on the market. It has two augers that can scoop the snow. From there, an accelerator will chop and push the snow through an impeller and launch it out of the chute. Aside from that, most three-stage snow throwers have features that will make snow removal an easy and comfortable task. However, this type of snow thrower is large and expensive. Nevertheless, this type of machine can plow through more than 20 inches of snow with ease.
1. Snow Joe SJ625E Snow Thrower
Founded in 2004, Snow Joe is a reputable manufacturer of outdoor tools. This company specializes in developing innovative outdoor tools that will make your home beautiful all year round, whether it’s snowing or shining.
The Snow Joe SJ625E is a single-stage snow thrower that can help remove any kind of snow, thanks to its 15-amp motor. Aside from that, this product can also move up to 800 pounds of snow per minute, and it shoots snow as far as 25 feet. Another great feature of this product is its sturdy steel auger with two rubber blades that can cut through a 21-inch wide and 12-inch deep path. Also, its scraper blade can efficiently remove snow without damaging your pavement or deck.
Aside from its outstanding plowing capacity, this snow thrower also features an adjustable discharge chute that can rotate to a full 180 degrees, providing you with full control over the direction of the snow. Aside from that, this product also comes with all-terrain wheels that will allow you to turn and maneuver the snow thrower with ease. This product is also equipped with an LED light, allowing you to remove snow even in low light conditions. Best of all, this snow thrower is easy to start and maintain, and you don’t have to use oil, gas, or tune-ups.
Although a great product, Snow Joe SJ625E has a few limitations. For one, this snow thrower is only suitable for small areas. Furthermore, it is unable to cut through heavy snow with ease.
- Has a powerful motor
- Has a scraper blade
- Comes with a chute cleaning tool
- Equipped with an LED light
- Unable to cut through heavy snow
- Suitable for small areas only
2. Greenworks 2600502 Snow Thrower
Greenworks Tools is a top manufacturer of battery-powered outdoor tools for landscaping professionals and DIY consumers. Products from this company can deliver the performance and power of gas-powered tools without the noise, mess, noxious fumes, and stamina-reducing vibration linked with gas products.
The Greenworks 2600502 is a corded snow thrower with a 13-amp motor. As such, it is powerful enough to remove up to 10 inches of snow and discharge it to as far as 20 feet away. It also features a 20-inch wide mouth that allows you to clear your driveway quickly. Moreover, this model has an adjustable discharge chute that rotates to up to 180 degrees, making snow throwing more manageable.
Aside from those features, this snow thrower is also lightweight, so you can easily maneuver it, especially on flat and smooth surfaces. Plus, it is compact, so you can easily store it when the snow melts. Furthermore, this snow thrower has an electric starter switch. The best part is that this product does not produce harmful emissions, making it an eco-friendly product.
Greenworks 2600502 is certainly one of the best snow removal throwers on the market, especially considering its price and performance. However, this product does not have self-propulsion technology. For this reason, you need to put some force behind it when operating it. Aside from that, this snow thrower is corded, so you need to be close to an electrical outlet for power.
- Easy to maneuver
- Produces no harmful emissions
- You should be close to an electrical outlet for power
- Does not have self-propulsion technology
3.WORX WG650 Snow Thrower
WORX is one of the most popular companies that manufactures lawn and garden equipment and power tools. Products from this company are made with premium materials, so you are guaranteed that they are innovative, durable, and high-quality.
The WORX WG650 is an electric snow thrower with a 13-amp motor. Compared to gas, electric snow throwers are less powerful. However, this product from WORX is strong enough to remove the moderate amounts of snow on your deck and driveway. Plus, it can clear an 18-inch wide and 9-inch deep path. Also, it can discharge snow to as far as 30 feet, which is impressive given its compact size.
In addition to those features, this snow thrower also has an adjustable discharge chute that rotates to a full 180 degrees. Plus, it has compact wheels, allowing you to maneuver it with ease. Best of all, this product is ergonomically designed to increase user comfort and help reduce fatigue.
Although a great product, the WORX WG650 has a few shortcomings. First, this snow thrower is a bit noisy. Aside from that, it has a short power cord. Lastly, it is not auger propelled. This is not a major drawback because it only weighs about 30 pounds. However, you will need to put some extra force behind it, especially if you’re clearing deep snow.
- Ergonomically designed to help reduce fatigue
- Has an adjustable chute
- Can clear a wide path
- Easy to store
- A bit noisy
- Short power cord
- Not auger propelled
4. Power Smart DB5023 Snow Thrower
Power Smart offers an array of outdoor and garage tools. This company is popular for manufacturing snow throwers that are not only affordable but of high quality as well.
With the Power Smart DB5023, you can remove the snow on your patio or driveway easily. This is because this single-stage electric snow thrower has a 13-amp motor, which is powerful enough to remove snow up to 18 inches in width and 8 inches in depth in a single pass. It also has a rubber-tipped auger, which is capable of throwing snow up to 30 feet.
Aside from those features, this snow thrower has an adjustable chute that rotates to a full 180 degrees, so it can throw the snow in any direction you desire. Furthermore, it has foam-coated hand grips for comfortable use, and it has oversized handles that allow you to maneuver it with ease. Lastly, this snow thrower is easy to use and maintain.
With all these great features, the Power Smart DB5023 is surely one of the best snow removal throwers on the market. However, this product is not perfect. One downside for this snow thrower is its plastic parts, which may affect its durability. Aside from that, this machine is not suitable for heavy snow.
- Wide coverage area
- Easy to maneuver
- Has an adjustable chute
- Has a durable gripped auger
- Has a lot of plastic parts
- Not suitable for heavy snow
5. Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 Snow Thrower
Troy-Bilt is one of the most popular and recognizable brands of outdoor power and lawn care equipment in the US. This is because this brand only offers top-notch products made with premium materials and world-class craftsmanship.
As a two-stage snow thrower, the Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 can remove heavy snow. With its powerful 357cc 4-cycle overhead valve (OHV) gas engine, it can clear up to 30 inches wide and 21 inches deep of snow in one pass. Plus, it is equipped with Touch ‘N Turn Power Steering that provides a lot of force in extreme weather conditions.
In addition to those features, the Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 also comes with a headlight and reflective strips for safe operations in low-light conditions. Also, it has X-Trac tires that allow you to maneuver it with ease. Lastly, you can remove snow comfortably and easily, thanks to its heated handles, 200-degree polymer chute, and Just One Hand steerable drive system.
Aside from being expensive, another drawback for this snow thrower is that it needs a lot of storage space due to its large size.
- Has rugged tires
- Has an electric start feature
- Has a large coverage area
- Needs a large storage space
What to Look for in a Snow Thrower
Most single and two-stage snow throwers only have one forward speed. However, a model with multiple speeds can offer some benefits. For one, it allows you to go faster or slower, depending on your task. Plus, changing speeds can also help prevent snow from clogging the machine.
Discharge Chute Controls
One of the most important elements of snow removal is the ability to control where the show ends up. Fortunately, newer models of snow throwers are now equipped with joystick chute controls that allow you to change the horizontal and vertical direction of the chute using a joystick. However, this feature will differ depending on the brand. As such, you have to ensure that you can access the controls while you’re controlling the snow thrower.
If you’re going to buy a large snow thrower, it is best to look for a model with power steering. This feature can help you maneuver the snow thrower with ease.
Tugging a snow thrower’s pull cord in low temperatures is not an enjoyable task. For this reason, most snow throwers have a plug-in electric starter, which you can use near an electrical outlet. This feature will also help extend the life of the pull cord.
If you’re going to remove snow during dusk or in low light conditions, a product with headlights is beneficial. Aside from illuminating your path, this feature can also alert motorists when you’re working near the road.
Most snow throwers have a 12-inch impeller, which is wide enough for most conditions. However, opting for a product with a 14-inch impeller can be more useful if speed is your top priority.
Heated handlebars may seem unnecessary. However, keeping your hands warm is not only comfortable; it will also allow you to control the joystick and levers with ease. This is especially true if you’re planning to stay outside for a long period.