Best Mechanical Pencil – Buying Guide & Reviews
Mechanical pencils were in use for as long as 400-years, however, they were not this advanced or easy to use. In those days mechanical pencils were more like a crude clutch lead pencil that is designed to hold the graphite/lead shaft at a place without slipping. The system was simple, but was comparatively less efficient and lacked features. It is almost impossible to sketch the exact period when the current technology was developed.
Nevertheless, to be frank, the latest product is efficient and come with many exciting features.
Table of Contents
Here are some advantages of mechanical pencils
- Mechanical pencils come with lead so think that there is no need to sharpen the lead every time.
- Normal pencils have to be sharpened once the lead sharpness is lost, but, mechanical pencils do not have to been sharpened and this, in turn, can deliver a very thin line.
- Mechanical pencils are refillable and there is no need to buy a new pencil each time.
- Mechanical pencils look more attractive and professional than a normal pencil
Here are some factors that you should consider while purchasing a mechanical pencil.
- Purpose of use
Purpose of use – mechanical pencil as we all know can be used for different purposes commonly writing and drawing. However, for drawing and writing a person can use the same pencil, but if you want to utilize the maximum efficiency of the pencil then, you will have to consider these things.
- Writing – if you consider on buying a mechanical pencil just for writing, then you would need a pencil with thicker lead so that it will not break easily and the writing would be darker and easy to read. 0.7mm and 0.9mm lead mechanical pencils are best recommended for writing.
- Drawing – If you consider buying a mechanical pencil for drawing, then you would need softer grades of lead. If you want you plan to rough sketch then, consider buying thick lead pencils. It is best recommended that for drawing, you to purchase a mechanical pencil that uses a lead of size less than 0.7mm.
Mechanism – This actually refers to the type of feed. Mechanical pencils are classified as two based on the type of feed.
- Shaker pencils – a shaker pencil would have weight inside that will push the lead forward with just one click on the head. It is quicker than pressing a button, so these are best recommended for students. However, the same mechanical pencil will have buttons too.
- Auto-feed – This type of mechanical pencil comes with a mechanism that auto feeds the lead while writing. This allows the user to use the pencil without pressing the head each time the lead is consumed.
Erasers – Most of the mechanical pencils have erasers incorporated into it. There are people who consider an eraser as an important part of mechanical pencils. If you consider an eraser, as an important component then you should know the fact that most of the eraser on a mechanical pencil does not last long, so, consider buying a pencil that comes with extended eraser specification.
Price – Mechanical pencils come at different price ranges, choosing the product based on the price is totally your personal choice. If you are on a budget, prefer purchasing combo packages that comes at a reasonable price.
Here is the list of best mechanical pencils available on the market today.
1. BIC Xtra Sparkle Mechanical Pencil, Colorful Barrel, Medium Point (0.7 mm), 48-Count
The BIC Xtra Sparkle Mechanical pencil from the brand BIC comes in a pack of 96. This reliable mechanical pencil comes in fun designs and is suitable for standardized tests. This product was rated as one of the top mechanical pencils available on the market in 2017. The 0.7 mm lead that comes with this product ensures smooth writing and does not smudge. The product also comes with erasing on its head for easy cleaning. One of the notable things about this product is that it comes with an attractive sparkly exterior design.
- 7mm lead
- Comes in a pack of 24
- Eraser incorporated on the head
- Designed for standardized tests
- The product comes in funny exterior colors making it not suitable for office use.
2. Zebra M/F 701 Stainless Steel Mechanical Pencil and Ballpoint Pen Set, Fine Point, 0.7mm HB Lead and 0.7mm Black Ink, 2-Count Gift Set
The Zebra M-701 Stainless Steel Mechanical Pencil from the brand Zebra comes with an attractive stainless steel body design. The product is designed to withstand normal shocks and comes with a design that protects the lead without breaking. The manufacturer has placed an excellent knurled grip to enhance the handwriting. This mechanical pencil is refillable with 0.7mm HB Lead refills and has an eraser on the top suitable enough to erase the writing.
- 7mm HB Lead
- Stainless steel body
- Knurled grip for enhanced handwriting
- Designed exterior look
- Some customers reviewed the product as a lead break if excess pressure is applied to it while writing.
3. Uni Mechanical Pencil, Kuru Toga Roulette Model 0.5mm, Gun Metallic (M510171P.43)
This mechanical pencil from the brand Uni comes incorporated with lead rotating technology. The product uses 0.5mm Lead and the whole pencil is made of gunmetal. One of the notable things of this mechanical pencil is that it has excellent exterior looks and comes with knurled rubber grip for enhancing the handwriting. This mechanical pencil weights only 0.48-Ounces.
- Made of gunmetal
- Uses 0.5mm Lead
- Excellent exterior looks
- This product comes with an excellent grip that can enhance the users handwriting
- If the product falls down, the product will malfunction
4. Pilot MR Animal Collection Mechanical Pencil, Matte Silver with Python Accent (94011) (1282)
This mechanical pencil from the brand Pilot comes with python accent. The product has a modern and sophisticated design. The mechanical pencil comes with a brass barrel with stainless steel accent, which reflects the highest craftsmanship. This mechanical pencil uses 0.5mm HB Lead. However, the user has to purchase the refill HB Lead separately. The Pilot MR Animal collection mechanical pen comes in different color variants. This pencil weighs only .8 Ounces.
- 5mm HB Lead refill
- Attractive design that reflects the craftsmanship
- Excellent grip
- The product does not come with refill leads, the user have to purchase them separately
5. Pentel Sharp Mechanical Pencil, (0.5mm), Metallic Blue Barrel, 12 pack (P205MC)
The Pentel sharp mechanical pencils are the best selling mechanical pencils from the brand Pentel and come in a pack of 12. This mechanical pencil is designed for professionals and students. It can withstand nominal shocks without breaking the lead inside. One of the most important features of this mechanical pencil is that it has 4mm tip, which makes it suitable to be used with rules and templates. The product also comes with refill leads made of high-quality polymer HB Leads. The same product is available in different lead size variants and based on color variants.
- 4mm tip
- 5mm HB Lead
- Suitable for professionals and students
- Available in different color variants
- Comes in a pack of 12
- Some customer reviewed the product as internal spring starts to rust causing the pen to malfunction and prove worthless.
6. Pentel Twist-Erase III Mechanical Pencil, (0.7mm), Celadon Green Barrel, 12 pack (QE517K)
This mechanical pencil from the brand Pentel Twist-Erase comes in a pack of 12. The product carried a tip that is specially designed to prevent lead breakage during writing. The manufacturer has placed a latex-free grip to improve the grip and therefore, the handwriting. This mechanical pencil uses Hi-polymer HB Lead refills. One of the notable things about this mechanical pencil is that it comes with an extra size eraser on its head.
- Comes in different variants based on the size of the lead
- Comes in a pack of 12
- Latex free grip
- Extra size eraser
- Few customers reviewed the product as made of a poor quality material
7. Paper Mate 3030131 SharpWriter Mechanical Pencils, 0.7mm, HB #2, Yellow, 12 Count
The Paper Mater 3030131 SharpWriter is a mechanical pencil from the brand Paper Mate. This mechanical pencil comes incorporated with shock-absorbing tips that prevent lead breakage. The tips are twistable and tips that self sharpens the lead when required. The product uses 0.7mm HB Lead refills and is designed for professional and student use.
- 7mm HB Lead
- Slim and lightweight
- Shock-absorbing tips
- Designed for professional use
- The tips are too soft that it will break at one fall, which, in turn, will prove the product useless.
When it comes to professional works and study classes, mechanical pencils are a time saver. The user does not have to spend time on sharpening the pencil nor does he have to buy a new pencil every now and then. However, it is not as easy as you think to purchase the best product from the numerous products available on the market. Consider the factors and the list mentioned above to help yourselves get the best mechanical pencils