Top 8 Best Electric Toothbrushes – Reviews & Buying Guide
Good oral hygiene plays an important role in the prevention of gum disease and tooth decay. If you’re looking for the easiest and most effective way to care for your teeth, it is worth researching an electric toothbrush.
An electric toothbrush can be a great alternative to a manual toothbrush and research shows that they remove more plaque, leading to better overall gum health. They provide the cleaning action for you, which allows for a more consistent, effective cleaning. The user simply guides it along the surfaces of the teeth and the cleaning action of the brush does the rest of the work!
Additionally, people with arthritis or other similar conditions may find using an electric toothbrush is easier and less painful. Electric toothbrushes may also help kids brush their own teeth more effectively and thoroughly, however, be sure to check the age recommendations on the toothbrush before letting your child use it.
While electric toothbrushes can be very advantageous, the world of electric toothbrushes may sound complicated and confusing with the variety of features offered. There are several types of electric toothbrushes that range both in price and type of motion and features. Below we will look at the overall advantages as well as the pros and cons of the top electric toothbrushes on the market.
Main advantages of an electric toothbrush are:
- Consistent power the entire time one is brushing
- Superior plaque removal
- Technology – Many have timers to encourage a thorough cleaning and remind when to change bristles
- Ease of use- these brushes do the work for you
- Many have a variety of cleaning modes
Here is a list of the best electric toothbrushes currently available in the market.
Table of Contents
1. PHILIPS SONICARE PROTECTIVECLEAN 4100 PLAQUE CONTROL
The Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 is a gentle power toothbrush with a pressure censor that protects teeth and gums from excess brushing. It is a no-frills, one button brush at an affordable price point, yet has many great features that make it one of the best on the market right now.
- Pressure Sensor
- Smartimer, brushing pace
- 2 weeks of battery life
- BrushSync replacement reminder
- one year warranty
- gentle, lacks the power that some people prefer
- automatic shut off after 2 minutes
2. ORAL-B White PRO1000 Rechargeable Toothbrush
The Oral-B White Pro1000 toothbrush is clinically proven to provide a superior clean compared to a regular toothbrush. The CrossAction brush head has bristles that surround each tooth and the 3D cleaning action oscillates and rotates to break up more plaque. It is complete with a pressure censor that stops the movement if you are brushing too hard. It is a great price point and compatible with a variety of replacement toothbrush heads, making it a popular toothbrush.
- Pressure Sensor- stops you from brushing too aggressively
- CrossAction: bristles angled at 16 degrees to reach deep between teeth
- 2 minute timer- pulses at 30 second intervals to remind you to change quadrants
- 3D cleaning action
- compatible with many types of replacement heads
- handle is thin and smooth
- brush does not automatically turn off
3. PHILIPS SONICARE ESSENCE
The Philips Sonicare Essence Electric toothbrush removes up to 2 times more plaque than a manual toothbrush. Its fluid motion helps clean between teeth and along the gum line. It is an excellent toothbrush for the more cost conscious consumer that is looking for an effective brush but not interested in all the bells and whistles
- cleans gently with Sonic Technology
- smart timer
- contoured brush head and soft grip handle
- 2 min timer
- 2 weeks of power on a single charge
- does not come with replacement heads
- can be hard to keep clean
4. Fairywill Clean as a Dentist Sonic Toothbrush
This Fairywill toothbrush appeals to a wide base of consumers as it has a light-weight design made for thorough cleaning with reduced noise. It has 5 modes of cleaning to suit different conditions of the teeth and gums (strong, medium, gentle, front teeth polish, gum care). It will make you feel like you just stepped out of the dentist’s office.
- 5 modes of cleaning for all types of teeth/gums
- anti-slip handle and protective cover
- 4 hours of charge last 30 days
- includes 3 replacement heads
- 1 year warranty and 180 day no hassle return
- new users may experience a tickling sensation but will normally get used to this within 2 weeks
5. ORAL-B VITALITY DUAL CLEAN WITH AUTOMATIC TIMER
The Oral-B Vitality Dual Clean toothbrush provides twice the cleaning action for superior plaque removal compared to a manual toothbrush. This model has a rotating head that penetrates hard to reach places. It has a built in timer, is compatible with many replacement heads and is a great toothbrush for the price point.
- efficient and effective
- comes with a replacement head
- 2 minute timer to encourage thorough brushing
- 1 cleaning mode
6. PHILIPS SONICARE 2 SERIES PLAQUE CONTROL TOOTHBRUSH
The Philips Sonicare 2 Series Plaque Control is a rechargeable toothbrush that removes 6 times more plaque than a manual toothbrush. Although the price point is a bit higher than some more basic models, there are some added features that may make this brush worth the extra money. A snap on brush head is designed for better plaque removal and the sonic technology delivers 31,000 brush strokes per minute while still safe and gentle on orthodontics, dental work and implants.
- easy start feature- slowly increases the power of the toothbrush over 14 days to help consumer transition
- Smartimer- shuts off after 2 min
- 2 year warranty
- ergonomic handle
- 1 speed
7. ORAL-B PRO5000 SMART SERIES WITH BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY
The Oral-B Pro5000 toothbrush is packed with features to help you improve overall tooth and gum health. There is a Pressure Sensor that help protect gums from aggressive brushing. Bluetooth communication allows the brush to connect with your smartphone to track your brushing habits and give you real time feedback on improving them. There are also 5 cleaning modes for all types of teeth and gums. This is the highest price point of toothbrushes we reviewed, however all of the upgraded features may be worth it.
- bluetooth connectivity, app to track brushing habits
- Floss Action with micropulse bristles
- 3D cleaning
- Pressure Censor
- 5 Brushing modes
- 2 minute timer
- charge holds for 2 weeks
- very bright charging light
- some reviewers think it is a bit loud in comparison to other models
8. AquaSonic Ultra Whitening Toothbrush – 8 DuPont Brush Heads & Travel Case
The AquaSonic Ultra Whitening Toothbrush is a sleek model with up to date technology that removes 10 times more plaque above the gum line than a manual brush. It features a powerful motor producing 40,000 vibrations per minute. This toothbrush has 4 modes of operation, including whitening, massage mode for gums, soft mode for sensitive teeth and clean mode. It comes with a sleek travel case, 8 replacement heads and holds its (wireless) charge for a month- all at a competitive price point.
- 4 modes for cleaning and whitening
- wireless charger
- comes with 8 brush heads and travel case
- built in timers
- no cover for brush head
- some users find it flimsy